Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Where do I begin?


Ok, I've been M.I.A. since school started back in August.  I feel like since school has started, I've literally hit the ground running & haven't stopped!

We got a new Reading series this year & we, the Reading teachers, didn't receive our teacher manuals until after the students started school.  Therefore, I've felt like I haven't really been prepared for the school year.  I'm having to take it one story at a time...one week at a time.  I feel like I'm not on top of my game, which really worries me when it comes to our state test in the Spring.  I, once again, have received Level 5 status as a teacher in Tennessee...the highest status a teacher can receive based on state testing & in terms of growth.  I would love to maintain this status, but I just feel like I'm doing nothing but trying to stay afloat.

 

Sometimes I feel like this little guy.



Anyhow, since school has started, my injury & running have really been improving! I started seeing a chiropractor that practices in Active Release Therapy (ART).  Basically it's massage with movement and going deeper to the problem.  I discovered that my knee run was collapsing inward as I ran. 
 
The chiropractor has given me some extra hip & glute strengthening exercises to build upon what I had learned in physical therapy.  In the beginning, I was going to him every week.  Now my visits have been anywhere from 2-4 weeks apart.  I have been very pleased with the progress we've made!
 
To make a long story short...
 
I've been training for the St. Jude Half-Marathon that takes place in Memphis on December 7...that's 32 days away!  This past Saturday, I ran my longest run since my injury...12 miles!!!  I'll admit, I do have to take some brief walk breaks & keep an eye on my knee.  But thanks in part to Rocktape, I can run pretty much pain-free!  I have come a LONG way just since Labor Day weekend, that was the first time I'd even run 6 miles!
 

I will be running for the children as a St. Jude Hero.  To date, I have raised $500 for the children.  If you would like to donate to a great cause, please visit my fundraising page: http://heroes.stjude.org/jennifermarcum.





 




No comments:

Post a Comment